The Music Committee is responsible, along with the Pastor and Minister of Music, for the music ministry for worship services. It works with the Minister of Music to oversee the Special Music Fund that was established in 1994 for use by the Minister of Music to enrich the music ministry of the church.
Mission of the Music Ministry
The music ministry endeavors to support the mission of the Church, which is to praise and glorify God and be intentional disciples of Jesus Christ. In this aim, the music ministry seeks to present the highest quality choral music and instrumental offerings, as well as incorporating other artistic expressions. The music ministry seeks to encourage people of faith in a variety of ways and to welcome people to our community to praise and worship God.
Some of the ways the Music Ministry seeks to accomplish this mission:
- Provide musical leadership to enrich Sunday morning worship, special worship services, e.g. Christmas Eve, Maundy Thursday, funerals and other special events through choral and instrumental offerings.
- Provide a rich and vital choir experience that fosters faith and caring for one another, encouraging non-church members to join the choir.
- Support a vibrant bell choir that provides music for worship and the community as well as a caring fellowship within the ensemble.
- Nurture and encourage talents and participation of young people in this ministry.
- Collaborate with other churches and organizations in providing musical offerings as an act of hospitality, understanding, and outreach to our surrounding communities.
- Encourage non-church members of the community to join these vibrant musical groups.
To inspire people to come together in communal worship to glorify God by offering quality choral and instrumental music in a wide range of styles, including opportunities for congregants and members of the community to participate in the creation of music.
The Salisbury Congregational Church choir program constitues the core of the music ministry by providing choral opportunities for people of all ages.
The choir repertoire includes a broad range of music from Renaissance, Baroque, Classic, Romantic, Impressionistic, Twentieth and Twenty-First century eras. The choir sings for worship services during the traditional school year and participates in special services, concerts and outreach events during the year. The choir is open to singers from high school age through senior citizen.
A choir is offered for elementary age children. REhearsals are during or immediately following worship services. The Junior Choir participates in special services and concerts during the year and presents a musical each spring.
An intergenerational bell choir is open to high school ages through senior citizen. This ensemble participates in special services during the year.
Special Music and Guests Musicians
Vocal and instrumental soloists and ensembles enhance worship services at the Salisbury Congregational Church. A brass quartet enhances worship on special services such as Thanksgiving and Easter. Northwest Connecticut choirs, ensembles and soloists are invited to enhance worship services.
During the summer, a Summer Choir is offered once a month for interested singers. The choir rehearses on Sunday mornings from 9:15 to 9:45am and then sings for the 10:00am service. Special music for the summer services is also provided by musicians from the congregation and area.
If you would like to participate or know of individuals who would be interested in participating in these musical opportunities including instrumental offerings, please contact Dr. Jack Bowman, Minister of Music or call the church office.